I continue to hear Democrats shouting “RACIST!” and it’s getting quite tiring.
One has to wonder just why are they so quick to shout “RACIST” when this administration has been the most devisive in recent history… racisim has grown tremendously in the past 3.5 years and it can only be attributed to actions of this current administration.
Why they continually play the race card is interesting. Have Americans perhaps forgotten that the Democrats:
- Supported slavery in 6 platforms from 1840-1860.
- Opposed the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution that successively wiped out slavery and gave both legal rights and voting rights to black Americans.
- Supported segregation actively or by silence in 20 platforms from 1868-1948.
- Opposed anti-lynching laws, specifically supported by the GOP in four platforms between 1912 and 1928.
- Opposed the GOP-sponsored Civil Rights Acts of 1866, which focused on legal equality for blacks.
- Opposed the GOP on giving voting rights to blacks in the District of Columbia in 1867. The legislation was passed over the Democrats’ objection.
- Nominated an 1868 presidential ticket of New York Governor Horatio Seymour and ex-Missouri Congressman Francis Blair. The Democrats pledged they would declare the Civil Rights laws passed by the GOP “null and void” and would refuse to enforce them. They lost to Ulysses Grant.
- Opposed the Enforcement Acts, three laws passed by the GOP between 1870 and 1871 targeting the rise of the Ku Klux Klan and making it a federal crime to block the right of blacks to vote, hold office, serve on juries and have equal protection of the laws with whites.
- Opposed the GOP Civil Rights Act of 1875, which prohibited discrimination of blacks in public accommodations.
- Used the Ku Klux Klan as what Columbia University historian Eric Foner calls “a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party.” Nor is there reference to University of North Carolina historian Allen Trelease’s description of the Klan as the “terrorist arm of the Democratic Party.” Nor is there mention of the infamous 1924 Democratic Convention — the “Klanbake” as it is known to history because hundreds of the delegates were Klan members. The Klan-written platform mixed the traditional Democratic message of progressivism and racism in the Klan-written platform.
- Repealed the Civil Rights laws enacted by GOP Congresses and presidents, already damaged by the Supreme Court. When Democrats gained control of both Congress and the White House in 1892, the Democrats’ President Grover Cleveland signed the repeal on February 8, 1894.
If you don’t recall this, or don’t believe it, do your own research and look it up. You just might be surprised if you are intellectually honest enough to check.